Search:

Friday, November 28, 2008

Can I grow Herbs?

I have always loved gardening. Many times I have started gardens only to let them die because of lack of the right care. I have also had many indoor plants that have died and I don't know why. They were difficult plants to grow and possibly, I just didn't know how to correctly take care of them. I have come home to many shriveled and dried up plants and have wondered their mysterious deaths.

This may not be very encouraging to those who are brand new to plants but want to dive in head first. If you are interested in growing herbs, I have good news for you. Growing herbs in not hard, even I have been able to master growing herbs.

Yes, it's true. While I can't keep a patch of strawberries growing strong for an entire season, I have been able to successfully grow my own herbs. Now understand, herbs are not foolproof, but even those without even a hint of a green thumb can figure it out. Even if it takes a little trial and error, you can do it. Better yet, learn from my mistakes and you can start much better off.

I started my herb gardening with a variety of herbs. I had basil, parsley, dill, and rosemary. I had 4 little pots that I planted about a dozen seeds in each. They all sprouted quite quickly. In each pot, I had about a dozen seedlings growing quite close together. It wasn't until after a while that I realized I shouldn't have so many plants in one pot. This may have been the dismay of most of the herbs. After a couple of weeks, I thinned out each pot so that each had just one plant.

The herbs continued to grow slowly. The basil did very well, but the others seemed to stop and started to turn yellow. I watered them almost daily. Eventually, I did a little research and realized I should be adding some type of fertilizer because I hadn't put any in the soil. I started added a little bit of milk to the water every couple of weeks. The basil began to prosper, but the others didn't have a chance.

I dumped the herbs except for the basil, and started growing all basil. I realized I had been watering the plants too often, so I cut back to just a couple times a week. I continued feeding them milk every so often, and finally my herbs began to prosper.

Yes, you can grow herbs, as long as you know what you're doing. Make sure you use pots or containers that allow the water to drain out the bottom. Preferably, put a fertilizer directly in the soil when you first plant them. Make sure they get a lot of sun and never dry out. Follow the rules on the package of your seeds, be patient, and you will get the herbs you want.
If you want to know more about how to grow herbs and how to start your own herb garden, go to GrowingHerbsMadeEasy.info for more information.
This article is free for republishing
Source: http://www.articlealley.com/article_680378_32.html

No comments: